Sunday, August 31, 2008

Beware of this symbol

The Radura -- required by the FDA to be on all irradiated food products


Ok, now, I'm not usually one to tell people how to eat, but I recently found out something very disturbing. The FDA approved (at best I can find sometime in 1998) the use of low levels of a "certain" type of radiation to kill bacteria in food. Don't worry, the FDA says it's safe (I wonder if that's on the same "safe" list as Phen Phen and Oxycontin). http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-fdb33.html
For anyone who knows me I'm not really "granola". I drink my rat poison (Diet Coke), feed my kids Oreos and Cocoa Puffs, and live for Rocky Road Ice Cream. I like organic foods because 99% of the time they really just taste better, but I have a feeling I will be watching much closer and buying a lot more organic because, for some crazy reason, eating something with ANY level of radiation is slightly disturbing to me.

So if it doesn't bug you, or you live by the hot dog rule (which yes I eat those too) of "it hasn't killed me yet" then by all means don't pay any attention. Hey, while you're at it, be sure to call up our dear old Governor Huntsman and Senator Orin Hatch and tell them you totally support transporting more nuclear waste into Utah.

I know we're not going to stop food people from using radiation or convince the FDA to take it off their approval list, but for those people I love I figured I'd let you know.


And in case you're curious......It's NOT George Bush's fault!!!!
--Amy

2 comments:

Jacob Hurst said...

No this one wasn't Georgies fault but that doesn't mean that he hasn't stripped all regulations away from the FDA so that we can have poison drugs and salmonella food every other week. But any way I just wanted to share a video with you about something else the FDA allows and the reason why I switched to organic or free range meats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.