Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween and Hunting

Did you know that deer hunting in 70 degree weather sucks? I think it sounds ideal, but evidently the deer stay pretty well hidden when it's warm. -- OK, for those of you who don't know me, I'm not really that stupid. I hunted with my family from the time I could open my eyes until I had a choice to stay home. -- anyways.....Jeremy continued our new family tradition of the men going hunting and the women staying home. We figure we'll give them a break from all the nagging and honey-dos. Out of 4 tags they saw 3 deer and actually killed 2 (animal rights people no comments please. We eat the meat.) Jeremy fell down a hill chasing a deer and got whiplash. Yes it's funny. He's only been hunting 3 years and has shot at 2 deer so he's not doing so bad, considering he started shooting when he started hunting and only shoots at moving targets!

I have been designated the neighborhood Halloween scrooge. I really don't like the holiday. I can think of better (and more fun) things to spend money on then Halloween costumes, I don't like trick or treating because I feel like I'm teaching my kids how to beg and for whatever reason they forget all manners I've ever taught them. So the compromise is I let the kids trick or treat, we get it over early and then we watch a movie and have pizza. This year I got out of buying costumes by opening the Halloween box and letting them go at it. It worked pretty well. So after all this dreading of a boring and pointless holiday it was kind of fun. Bryan had fun trick or treating as long as we didn't go to any house that had a scarecrow. Skeletons, ghosts, spiders, moving noisy things he's fine. Go to a house with a smiling happy mormon scarecrow and he runs for the hills. It was acutally kind of funny. Jeremy would push him in the stroller up to the door and he would get out and run away saying "they're not home".

My wonderful husband takes pictures every morning of the baby and kids when they are being cute and adorable so that working the early shift doesn't deprive me of enjoying the mornings, but when it comes to taking pictures of the normal stuff (i.e. Devin's first hunt, Halloween, etc) we suck. So here are the pictures that Jeremy sent me the morning of Halloween. Bryan ended up ditching the gay dragon costume and being Pablo for the third year in a row. Cayden was a ninja and Devin was at his dad's.

1 comment:

Brian and Jocelyn said...

The hunting trip sounds like a lot of fun. Your kids look really good in their halloween costumes. (we had a hotdog and a giraffe)We hope to make it out there for the dedication service on the 14th so we can catch up.