Monday, January 11, 2010

Power of the World Wide Web (thank you Al Gore :))

Recently there was a Breast Cancer Awareness campaign on Facebook that I thought was kinda fun and interesting.  It asked women to post the color of their bra in their status.  Just the color, nothing else.  And it was supposed to be kept secret from men to make the wonder what was going on.  The funny thing is that women were asking, and answering back in the status so eventually the men found out as was bound to happen.  It was so fun for me that my friends, who have no connection to each other, were all doing this same random thing and posting a color in their status.  How do I know they aren't connected?  Well if you're not familiar with Facebook then you wouldn't know that Facebook tells you if you have any friends in common.  These women are from all different walks and all different faiths.  Did it do anything to raise Breast Cancer awareness?  I don't know, but it did get people talking.  It made me think about how the internet has changed the way we communicate.  15 years ago, something like this would have been done using a chain letter, that would ulitmetaly done no good and been thrown in millions of trash cans.  Today it takes someone 3 seconds to type a quick word and gets a whole extended community talking.  I thought it was pretty neat.

No comments: